The Kenora and District Chamber of Commerce has announced the nominees for the 2017 Business Awards. A total of 140 nominations were received, nominating 72 businesses in 10 award categories.
BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT – Sponsored by MNP LLP - This award honours a business who has recently taken steps to improve their company’s image in some way.
1. 901 Westside
2. All Tressed Up
3. Carstar Kenora
4. Casey’s Bar & Grill
5. Days Inn Kenora
6. Kenora Aerialettes
7. Lakeshore Lounge / Sun Valley Lodge
8. Posh & Pixie
9. The Seasons Shop
10. Shane’s Northern Tire and Auto
INNOVATIVE SMALL BUSINESS – Sponsored by Weyerhaeuser - This award recognizes a business who has introduced a ground breaking, original or environmental product or service that sets the company apart from others, or has demonstrated advanced or new use of technology or environmental responsibility.
1. Freshwater Cuisine
2. Sweet, Lake of the Woods Chocolate Shop
3. Twice is Nice: New & Gently Used Clothing
4. Wild Woods Hideaway
NEW BUSINESS (UNDER 2 YEARS) – Sponsored by RBC Royal Bank - This award is presented to a company or individual who has been in business for less than two years and demonstrates creativity in the spirit of business development.
1. Bob’s Burger Bar
2. Buck + Doe Hair & Skin Studio
3. C & O Minitgaabic Construction
4. Central Tech
5. EZ BIN Kenora
6. Haney Construction
7. Happy Paws Resort
8. Juliana’s Wine Boutique
9. Micro Green Farms
10. Miller Inc.
12. Namaste: A Holistic & Natural Wellness Spa
13. Playa Vida
14. Poplar + Birch
15. Posh & Pixie
16. Print Gear Inc.
17. Sweet, Lake of the Woods Chocolate Shop
18. Twice is Nice: New & Gently Used Clothing
20. Wild Woods Hideaway
TOURISM / HOSPITALITY – Sponsored by Kenora Hospitality Alliance - The recipient of this award would demonstrate their customer service, innovation and positive participation in our community encompassing quality business relations, economic development and business growth.
1. Beaver Creek Ranch
2. Dino’s Restaurant
3. The Grace Anne II Yacht & Lodge
4. Kendall House Bed and Breakfast
5. Mount Evergreen Ski Hill
6. Upriver Media
7. Wild Woods Hideaway
CUSTOMER SERVICE EXCELLENCE – STAFF UP TO 10 – Sponsored by Copperfin Credit Union - This award will recognize a local business, its management and staff, for successfully demonstrating quality customer service. They will each be an organization that is appreciated for its helpful and efficient service, dedicated to customer satisfaction and willing to go the extra mile.
1. All Tressed Up
2. Backstage Hair Studio
3. Bison Fire Protection Inc.
4. Boardanyone Inc.
5. Buck + Doe Hair & Skin Studio
6. Carstar Kenora
7. HoJoe Coffee & Eatery
8. Hoolio & Goober
9. Kenora Midwives
10. The Medicine Shoppe Pharmacy
11. Playa Vida
12. Plaza Restaurant
13. Shane’s Northern Tire and Auto
14. Sweet, Lake of the Woods Chocolate Shop
15. Wolframe’s World of Water
CUSTOMER SERVICE EXCELLENCE – STAFF OVER 10 – Sponsored by City of Kenora - This award will recognize a local business, its management and staff, for successfully demonstrating quality customer service. They will each be an organization that is appreciated for its helpful and efficient service, dedicated to customer satisfaction and willing to go the extra mile.
1. Century 21 Reynard Real Estate
2. The Grace Anne II Yacht & Lodge
3. Home Hardware
4. Kal Tire
5. Keewatin Place
6. RBC Royal Bank
7. Riverview Industries
ABORIGINAL BUSINESS – Sponsored by Seven Generations Education Institute - This award recognizes an outstanding Aboriginal business for their success, exemplifying business leadership and the delivery of high-quality products and services. The recipient must also demonstrate a strong, long-term commitment to the community, particularly in supporting Indigenous employment.
1. C & O Minitgaabic Construction
2. Fort Knoxx Barber & Salon
3. Haney Construction
4. Native American Adventures Guide Service
5. Ryan T Fisher Photography
YOUTH ENTREPRENEUR – Canadian Tire - This award recognizes outstanding youth entrepreneurs (30 years of age and under).
1. Alicia Loucks – Pink Dahlia Beauty & Brows
2. Ashley Schuster and Montana Lomnicki – Hoolio & Goober
3. Crystal Leighton – Swurve
4. Jenna Nowak – Zumba with Jenna
5. Kaija Saarinen – Green and Gone Pest Solutions
6. Kailee Matischuk – Posh & Pixie
7. Kyle Chagnon – Print Gear Inc.
8. Lindsey Roehrig – Unfixed
9. Shan Robertson – Lake of the Woods Barge Service
10. Shyy Kennedy and Courtney Alcock – Buck + Doe Hair & Skin Studio
ENTREPRENEUR / BUSINESS OWNER / MANAGER OF THE YEAR – Sponsored by BDO Canada LLP - An award will be presented to an outstanding business owner or manager, who in the last 12 months has developed their business to meet changing community and consumer demands. They will have provided a high level of business service, respectful treatment of employees as well as customers or clients and is actively involved in the community.
1. Dan Holl and Wade Duguay – Casey’s Bar & Grill
2. David Milko – Boardanyone Inc.
3. Jay Barnard – Freshwater Cuisine
4. Larry Yanchishyn & Hailey Yanchishyn – Home Hardware
5. Laura Moore – Image One Designs
6. Lindsey Roehrig – Unfixed / Quesada
7. Marc Novelli – Ristorante Pizzeria Italia
8. Maria Bagdonas – Young Drivers of Canada
9. Michelle Livingston – Island Girl
10. Pam Viinikka – Cornerstone Restaurant & Log Cabin Tavern
11. Peter Scheibler – Carstar Kenora
12. Rob Bell and Lisa Bell – Lake-Vu Co-op
13. Rob Emond – REMR Roofing
14. Sherrie Marion – Days Inn Kenora
15. Shyy Kennedy and Courtney Alcock – Buck + Doe Hair & Skin Studio
16. Todd Baker – R & T Tire
INCLUSIVE EMPLOYER EXCELLENCE – Kenora Association for Community Living - This award recognizes an inclusive employer who takes action to remove barriers and improve the working experience and engagement of employees with disabilities. They recognize the strengths and talents of individuals and enable employees with disabilities to reach their full potential. They value and respect the contribution of all employees, challenge disability inequality and foster an inclusive working environment.
1. Bob’s Burger Bar
2. Casey’s Bar & Grill
3. Keewatin Place
4. McMunn & Yates Building Supplies
5. Olson Honda
6. Piston Ring
7. Tim Hortons
8. Wholesale Club
The banquet will be held at Seven Generations Education Institute on February 7, and will include comedian Matt Falk as the entertainer.