Congratulations to the St. Thomas Aquinas High School Graduating Class of 2018!

To see advice from the valedictorians to younger students

click here >

Former Ontario Tory leader Patrick Brown says he can prove his innocence. He took to Facebook Sunday morning, in an effort to make his case.
 
As difficult as it may seem, leadership candidate Christine Elliott -- who was upset by Brown in her last bid to lead the party -- says she's willing to allow an opportunity for Brown to return, if he's able to clear his name. 
 
A leadership vote is set for early March. A provincial election is set for early June.
 
Statement from Patrick Brown:

Earlier this week, I said the truth will come out. I have been investigating the anonymous allegations against me and can prove they are false. I will clear my name.

The first accuser told a story about an incident that she claimed took place in my second floor, upstairs bedroom with the door closed. At the time of the alleged incident, I lived in a ground floor, open concept apartment and there was no second floor bedroom nor a door to any bedroom. THIS STORY IS FALSE. Interestingly, I understand from the first accuser's Facebook and from people we both know that she was housemates with a CTV reporter.

The second accuser's story is also absurdly false. It was she who tried to kiss me, while the woman I was seeing was in another room. I stopped her immediately and offered to drive her home, which I did. There are at least three witnesses, one of whom even spoke to CTV, that refute the details of her allegations. CTV left that out of the story.

Since the alleged incident, the accuser regularly presented herself as being my supporter and friend, including attending my events (she sat at a supporter table at my speech at the Economic Club of Canada in November 2016), requesting I connect her with my colleagues to help her write certain articles as recently as last year, liking a significant number of my Facebook posts long after she left my office, and, in fact, she even helped out on my leadership campaign. It is now known that this accuser and one of the reporters had a prior relationship. They both worked and socialized together. At no time did she ever act as someone who was anything but a friend and supporter. THIS STORY IS FALSE.

The #metoo movement is important. I support it. I embrace it. My drive to public service includes creating a safer and more respectful world for women. The #metoo movement is too important to allow outrageous allegations like these to derail it.

These past weeks have been hard. The hardest of my life. The night of January 24 was like being hit by a truck! No words can describe the hurt and pain suffered by me and my family. Yet, I find myself overwhelmed by the support for me across this beautiful province of ours. Thank you for believing me and believing in me. Thank you for your outrage at what happened to me.

I am a fighter. For my family, for my constituents, and for the citizens of Ontario. I will now fight for my name and reputation.

More Local News

Garrow Park ‘on hold’, city

Kenora City Council has put safety concerns at Garrow Park ‘on hold’, as the decision will be deferred to newly-elected councillors in the fall. Last month, Shauna DeGagne made a deputation to city…

Nine new fires confirmed

Fire crews with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry are keeping busy, with 76 active forest fires currently burning across the region. On Wednesday afternoon, crews confirmed nine new…

Restricted Fire Zone in effect

Parts of northwestern Ontario are now under a Restricted Fire Zone. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry has put the Restricted Fire Zone in place until further notice. The order is…

Kenora OPP search for escapee

Members of the Kenora Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police and Northwest Region Canine Unit are currently searching for a female who escaped custody. At approximately 1 pm on Thursday, August…

Ministry seeking fire starting suspects

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry is seeking the public’s help to identify the individuals responsible for starting a forest fire on an island on the Lake of the Woods. The fire was…

Mamakwa stands against PC’s, Ford

NDP MPP Sol Mamakwa of the Kiiwetinoong riding continues to say that the new PC government and Doug Ford are moving backwards on reconciliation efforts with Indigenous communities across the…

OPP searching for missing boater

Kenora OPP are investigating a missing boater on the east end of Lake of the Woods. Wednesday August 15, at approximately 2 p.m., the OPP were notified that a male adult was missing on Lake of the…

Impatience at water quality meeting

Cottagers and camp owners filled a meeting room in Kenora, and they gave federal officials a tough time about steps being taken to tackle water quality on Lake of the Woods. "We know what the issue…

Buck-a-beer ‘problematic’, Brew Co.

Ontario’s new PC government has long-promised the return of buck-a-beer across the province, but the campaign promise isn’t coming without its caveats. Once put into place, the buck-a-beer plan will…

Funding to protect local waterways

The federal government has announced just under $500,000 in funding to protect and enhance water quality in the Kenora riding. Grand Council Treaty #3 and the Lake of the Woods Water Sustainability…

KenoraOnline.com is Kenora's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Login