The Northwestern Health Unit has received a report of suspected blue-green algae in the Keewatin Bay area. 

The bloom is currently being tested by the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks to confirm whether or not blue-green algae is in fact apparent. The Health Unit has closed Keewatin Beach in the meantime and asks the public to treat the water as if it is toxic. 

When blue-green algae blooms are present, it is important to avoid drinking the water, swimming in it, and using it for bathing or other household purposes. Residential water treatment systems may not remove toxins and should not be relied on during a bloom event. Do not boil the water, as this can cause an increase in toxin levels. Municipally treated water supplies can be used normally unless you are notified otherwise.

Some blue-green algae produce toxins that can pose a health risk to people and animals when they are exposed to them in large amounts.