A dog from Kenora is pulling through from the fight of its life thanks to the support of the community.

On July 21, Kenora resident Kelley Morrell, his dog Penny and his daughter’s dog Onyx were outside playing when Kelley noticed both dogs acting strangely, which prompted Kelley to rush both of them to the Kenora Veterinary Clinic.

Morrell says the vet confirmed with him that both dogs had somehow ingested methamphetamine. Due to client/privacy laws, the Kenora Veterinary Clinic could not independently confirm this information with KenoraOnline and Q104.

Unfortunately, due to complications, Kelley’s pet Penny passed away later that evening.

Morrell says they are working with the OPP to find who may be responsible for the incident. KenoraOnline and Q104 has requested more information from the OPP to confirm the status of their investigation and if foul play may be involved.

Onyx, meanwhile, was brought to the Intensive Care Unit of Winnipeg’s Bridgewater Animal Emergency Hospital. That’s when a family friend created a GoFundMe fundraiser for the Morrell’s, to help them deal with the up to $1,500 costs per night.


But by July 23, Onyx was able to rejoin her family at home in Kenora.

Onyx’s owner, Brooke Morrell, says Onyx is suffering from long-term neurological damage and cannot walk on her own yet, but her prognosis is good. She also took time to thank staff in Kenora and Winnipeg for their efforts to save Onyx’s life, as well as the Kenora community’s support.

“I cannot begin to thank everyone for the amount of love and support that flooded in for us,” wrote Brooke. “This has been one of the most traumatic experiences a pet and pet owner can experience and we’re beyond grateful to be able to bring our girl home.”


As of the time of writing, the GoFundMe campaign has raised $6,250 of their $8,000 goal. They say any additional funds raised will be donated to Kenora’s It’s A Dog’s Life. You can find a link to donate HERE.